Higher Ed Trivia: eighteen Fun Points for 2013 In addition to providing a compelling information this undergraduate trainees, the Chronicle of Higher Education seems to have compiled a wide range of miscellaneous studies for its twelve-monthly Almanac.
Some items of trivia usually are entirely estimated but other people leave possibly even professionals itching their scalps.
For example , doable surprising that the number of education majors caught a real hit— down six percent within 20 years— but will you have guessed that within the same timeframe majors around park, entertainment, leisure, in addition to fitness scientific tests rose by just 734% proportion?
Or it’s said that Liberty Higher education, in Lynchburg, Virginia, matured by 940% in the ten-year period conclusion in 2011?
For people who don’t have some sort of subscription to Chronicle better Education , I am sharing 15 “fun facts” often interesting or at least useful dialogue starters:
- The most levels awarded in 2011 went to company, management, advertising and marketing, and associated support offerings (369, 042); the fewest went to armed service technologies and even applied discipline (64).
- Concerning freshmen, twenty-one. 1 proportion characterize them selves as ‘conservative, ” whilst 26. 6 percent tend to be “liberal. in
- In 2011-12 the mean total compensation for public-college presidents went up by to $441, 392, a raise of 4. 7 pct from 2010-11
- Over 21 percent of school freshmen wish to earn a good Ph. Def., while ten. 4 per-cent want to join the healthcare profession seeing that doctors, vets, or cosmetic dentists.
- After a decade-long surge, postsecondary enrollment fell by two-tenths of a % in slip of year 2011, to 21 years old. 6 huge number of undergrad along with graduate scholars.
- Among freshman enrolling for four-year institutions in the slide of this, 38. 3 percent revealed spending 6-8 or more a long time per week engaging in homework throughout their last year an excellent source of school.
- The common salary upon all teachers ranks within private colleges and universities was 99 dollars, 771 inside 2012-13, compared to $80, 578 at public colleges.
- A little over 10 % of younger reported expending over 15 hours/week operating ‘for pay’ during their this past year of high institution.
- The average in-state student living on grounds at a open public institution paid back 8, 655 in educational costs and fees as well as $9, 205 in room and board; usually the private pupil living on campus paid $29, 056 in expenses and fees together with $10, 462 in room as well as board.
- The most common ‘probable’ field of study/major among freshmen is enterprise (14. 4%) and, the particular popular is actually physical discipline (2. 5%)
- The quickest growing discipline in terms of my college professors improvement in bachelors degrees honored is ‘construction trades, ‘ which go up by using a whopping 4, 267 p . c in 10 years.
- Slightly about 46% involving freshmen enjoyed more than 100 miles from a home office, while 16. 4% documented living 12 or a lot fewer miles from your own home.
- More than two-thirds of college scholars expressed self-assurance in their overall academic ability, though not even half considered their selves above average with mathematical and also writing skills.
- Almost 87% of freshmen expect to comprehensive their degree programs in four years or even less.
- The very fastest-growing people research establishment in the country is definitely Texas Can easily University of which increased by way of 85. 7% from slip 2001 for you to fall this year, while the fastest growing open master’s organization was Sarasota Gulf Coast University which inturn grew just by over 200%.
The actual ACT Answer to Subject Examine Requirements
For most scholars, SAT Issue Tests will be thankfully not part of the component rat race. They have only a hardly any highly “selective” schools the fact that either demand or very strongly highly recommend the completion of two or more Subject Examination scores to get considered just for admission.
But for be clear, there are many of explanation why colleges could like to observe Subject Studies. Sometimes they need particular Matter Tests via students enthusiastic about specific supérieur or products of study. Or they are required about students hoping to enroll in multiplied or unique honors courses. Homeschooled pupils are often wanted to send Subject matter Tests to substantiate what they have seen and learned.
Together with students seeking to underscore expertise in a special subject might choose to submit results regardless of whatever the college requires.
It’s surely something to look at as you grow standardized test-taking strategies within high school, therefore you might want to program specific assessments as they match with State-of-the-art Placement or even other sophisticated coursework as you move through your childhood.
Yet no matter good goals, it’s in some cases hard to award in all the evaluating in time to satisfy deadlines, particularly if you’re planning to make use of Early Conclusion or Quick Action.
When you are feeling slightly panicked regarding Subject Studies either if you never bought around to taking these individuals or because your scores were not quite – you had thought they would often be, there is great: a number of institutions will allow you to replace the RESPOND with Writing for SAT Subject Medical tests.
Not only does this represent an economical solution to the particular problem— you merely need to pay for starterst test rather than several— nonetheless because the REACT is given within September, you will have a chance to create over the summer time and create a test that is certainly guaranteed to deliver results in a chance to early computer software.
In other words, a person avoid rushing scores with October and also worrying regarding whether or not the Higher education Board is going to transmit ratings in time based on deadlines.
But for those of you with the ACT answer to the Subject Test out dilemma, realize that what a college requires may be different from they expect off their best applicants. There is not complete within the college admissions place as to whether often the offer for you to substitute checks should be considered at skin value. What exactly is clear would be that the majority of college students admitted to those schools put up Subject Medical tests. So you should think about opting away from Subject Studies only if you are feeling your ratings would perform disservice in your candidacy.
And maintain in mind that a lot of colleges accepts scores delayed into the course of action, and you can consider taking Topic Tests at the end of fall or even early Present cards of senior citizen year as a back-up or submit should your application will be deferred out of early seuil or you are generally eventually place on a hold on list.
In the record, and here is a list of educational institutions accepting the main ACT through Writing rather than9126 both LAY and Subject Tests (special thanks to Cigus Vanni who provided the main list):
- Amherst College or university, MA
- Barnard College, NY
- Boston University or college, MA
- Brown University, RI
- Bryn Mawr College, PENNSYLVANIA (note some other testing options)
- Columbia College, NY
- Fight it out University, NORTH CAROLINA
- Haverford Institution, PA
- McGill University, The us
- Pomona School, CA
- Almond University, ARIZONA
- Swarthmore Higher education, PA (note other assessing options)
- Tufts University, MA
- University for Pennsylvania
- Vassar College, BIG APPLE
- Wellesley University, MA
- Wesleyan College, CT
- Yale University, CT
Sep 16, 2013
Encountering climatic conditions more preferred of August than Sept, the Higher Instruction Consultants Union (HECA) struck the road a while back for a travel of 6 colleges and universities operating out of the greater Pittsburgh area.
And six campuses were hectic with workout. Students who began classes days earlier was settled straight into established routines and looked energized through the bright and also sunny times.
On the admin side, entrée offices were definitely working backstage to put a finish touches at student recruiting programs slated for the autumn. It was an excellent time to get your share in Pittsburgh.